11 Feb Smartphones and Email
Nowadays the smartphones take important part in the wireless communications. They have many different options typical for bigger devices like laptops, desktops and tablets integrated in them. Using a smart phone the client can easily configure and manage the e-mail correspondence.
We, at Telx Computers, the IT services Miami Company, are familiar with the modern technical demands. In this tutorial we will describe the way to configure the e-mail clients on the most popular smart phone solutions.
- Using your smart-phone click on the Start button-> Messaging. Proceed with the Setup E-mail option.
- Next, enter the e-mail address and the password. After clicking on the Next button the application will try to determine your e-mail account’s settings using an Internet connection.
- If the settings cannot be gathered automatically you should enter them manually. Click on the Next button to proceed. You will be asked to pick the e-mail account type. Choose Internet E-mail. After that enter the account name and the display name. You can use random strings.
- On the screens that follow you will be prompted to write the Incoming Mail Server settings, its type (IMAP or POP3), the e-mail account username and password and the Outgoing Mail Server details. On the last screen make sure that the Outgoing server requires authentication check box it ticked.
- In the Advanced Server Settings you can select the options to use SSL for incoming and outgoing connections.
- Click on the Finish button to complete the setup.
- Load the Setup section on your phone.
- Navigate to Setup Wizard->Email Setup.
- From the Select an email setup option prompt pick the ‘I want to create or add an email address’ option. Click twice on the Next buttons.
- On this screen you should pick the Add an existing e-mail account option.
- There are some predefined settings for the most popular e-mail providers like Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail and AOL.
- Enter the e-mail username and the password. Click on the Next button.
- You will receive a confirmation message that the connection to your e-mail account is successfully established.
- A new icon for the corresponding e-mail account will be set in your phone’s main screen. The incoming and outgoing servers are automatically set so you can start compose, send and receive messages.
- In order to initiate the e-mail setup procedure on your iPhone appliance click on the Settings button located on the main screen.
- Next, proceed to the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section.
- Click on the Add Account option.
- Pick the e-mail account type which you want to set.
- Click on the Add Mail Account option.
- You will be prompted to enter your name, e-mail address, password and a description of the account.
- Next, you should enter the Outgoing server details. The host, username and password are mandatory.
- Do the same for the Incoming server.
- Once the details are saved the smart phone will verify them.
- Upon successful verification the account will be added in your e-mail account list.
- You can manage the IMAP folders by clicking on the account and entering the ‘Advanced’ options. Pick each one from the Drafts, Sent and Deleted folders and bind them with the corresponding ones on the server.
- The clients that have mobile phones working with the Android OS can use the default mail application called: Email (In some Android releases the application name is Mail).
- Prior configuring the mail settings, make sure that you have an Internet connection through a Wifi access point or through the mobile network.
- The program can be opened from your Android phone Home screen -> All programs. Press the Email icon to load the application. Then click on the Other (POP3/IMAP) option under the Choose a mail provider screen.
- On the next window enter the Email address and the Password of your e-mail account. Then click on the Next button.
- Enter the Incoming settings for the e-mail account. Pick POP3 or IMAP as the incoming mail protocol.
- Verify the e-mail address and the username. Enter the POP3/IMAP server address. Pick the connection’s security type (None/SSL/TLS) and the server port if it differs from the default one. Click on the Next button.
- Continue with the Outgoing server settings. Make sure that there is a tick in the Require sign-in check box. Verify the login details and the SMTP server settings. Pick the connection’s security type (None/SSL/TLS) and the server port if it differs from the default one. Click on the Next button.
- The entered information will be verified. Then you can complete the setup by clicking on the Finish setup button. Once you are ready you will be able to use your Android smart phone to manage your e-mails.
If you are looking into synchronizing your local Microsoft Exchange calendar with your mobile phone; you will probably need a third party application. Most phones seamlessly sync regular POP3 accounts. However, synchronizing Exchange calendars and contact information requires an extra step.
We at Telx Computers, IT services Miami Company, can offer you a solution for this specific need. So please get in touch with our Expert Help Desk and we will point you in the right direction.